Friday, July 21

Queen of Quotes (#fmf)

“Just a minute! I ran across a neat quote that kind of applies to this!” or “Whoa! I’ve got to write that one down!” These words are forever coming out of my mouth during conversations or small groups/Bible studies or any time I read or hear a great quote or thought! I’ve always had a fascination for quotes because quotes have a concise way of delivering powerful truth. It’s been said that "a fine quotation is a diamond in the hand of a man of wit and a pebble in the hand of a fool." (Joseph Roux)

Quotes are memorable, relevant, and timeless! Quotes can be anything from something silly to something so serious that can alter the course of a person’s life. Quotes can remind us of our purpose and be a quick shot in the arm. And quotes can challenge our way of thinking in such a way to point out the absurdity of our thoughts and redirect us back to truth.

When I saw that this week’s FMF word is collect, I had to smile. I’ve had so many collections over my lifetime from plastic charms for the plastic chain necklace (think late 1980s) to foreign coins to pet rocks (that I painted and glued eyes on myself) to porcelain dolls to flute music to books (that is one collection that keeps growing over the years), but collecting quotes is something I’ve done for a lifetime!

About 10 years ago, I started the below journal and wrote down quotes that jumped out at me from books to conversations to sermons on every page. There’s something special about pulling out my quote book when I’m struggling with life and read the quotes that have so often encouraged me and pointed me back to God.


These are 2 of my favorite quote books. I had to laugh at my Forbes quote book because pieces of toilet paper flopped out of it as makeshift bookmarks! It reminded me of my early motherhood days when I escaped into the bathroom with this book to read something “scholarly” because it felt like my adult mind was being lost in feedings, diapers, and fabric one-word books!



I have running pages of quotes in my Notes app on my iPhone as well as screenshots of quotes that jumped out at me while on social media that I want to transfer to my quote book or to share with a friend who needs encouragement.



And I usually carry an old-fashioned pen and paper notebook in my purse to jot down quotes that are relevant to where I’m at today! This mini-notebook gives me something to read while waiting in lines, in the car, or the waiting room and helps me remember who I want to be and why!


There is just something simple and beautiful about collecting quotes! "She was fascinated with words. To her, words were things of beauty, each like a magical powder or potion that could be combined with other words to create powerful spells." Dean Koontz

Five Minute Friday (#FMFparty) gives writers a word prompt. We are encouraged to write whatever comes to mind about that word in just five minutes (although, I usually go longer bcs FMF helps fuel that spark in me to write).  No editing, no perfection, only writing from the heart.  To find out more, visit http://fiveminutefriday.com/.  This week's word is "COLLECT."

1 comment:

  1. I guess I collect quotes too, Amy. Not nearly as extensively as you have but I copy and paste them on the notepad on my Mac. Words are a gift and quotes don't need dusting!

    ReplyDelete