Friday, January 22

A God of the Present (#fmfparty)

In 2015, I discovered the value of the present. So much of my life has been spent overcoming the past and worrying about the future that I often forgot to see what was right in front of me. With the death of my grandma and the death of my close friend/mom/mentor, the present became ever so real. Once the present is gone, we can't get it back.

These deaths revealed areas where I was living everywhere but the present. These deaths combined with the growing pressures of owning a business also revealed God to me in new ways as I saw just how much He was the God of the present. He is always breaking into our lives in many different ways and wanting us to see Him, receive Him, and live with Him. It's not about what we are doing for God or where we are in our growth process or where we want to be with Him, it's about coming to Him in our humility knowing we can't do life on our own and we desperately need Him in this very moment. We need Him to sustain us whether it's physically, mentally, emotionally, or financially for we ultimately cannot sustain ourselves.

When we start seeing the value of the present, we begin to live in the present. And when we live in the present and experience God in the present, we find ourselves in the midst of joy and blessings that can't be contained nor explained, even in the hard times. Our focus shifts because it's no longer resting on ourselves and trying to figure our lives out. Our focus is on God which changes the source of our reliance as we take each step forward. And suddenly, we find ourselves in step with Him and surrounded by peace, confidence, reassurance, comfort, joy, and contentment--things that once seemed elusive. Because we know who is holding us, we find ourselves set free to be who we are, free to dream, and free to hope because we are sure that God sees us and has a plan for our lives. 

And when we are free, we are able to run unhindered in the present because we are no longer afraid to run--we know who is holding us! God used death to reveal the present to me so that I can remember who He is. Through remembering Him, He reaffirmed the dreams that He planted in my heart 5, 10, and 15 years ago and gave me the courage to dream once again. Not only did He give me the courage to dream, but He showed me through His continual provision when provision seemed humanly impossible that He can provide for my dreams, too.

Yesterday, I found out that I got accepted at a seminary that I've been wanting to go to for years. I rarely spoke of it and never pursued it because I thought I wasn't worth my dream, but God kept beckoning me to dream this dream until I could let go of myself long enough to see Him. As I discovered God continually breaking into the present, I began to understand that He does have me in His hand. He is God--He makes happen what He wants to happen! All I have to do is trust Him!

And when trust happens, God captures my present in such a way that brings all the praise back to Him for I know the secret battles that took place for surrender (plus I also had a husband who had to write an essay as part of my application--lol) and I know that it is ALL from God and because of Him. Therefore, it makes Psalm 34:8 such a verse of the present--"Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good. Blessed is the man who trusts in Him!" Today, I cannot contain my excitement because I have tasted and have seen that the Lord is good--not just because I got in this seminary program, but because He is my provision, my sustainer, and my Father at this present moment and every moment yet to come! It's pretty awesome! 

I will bless the Lord at all times;
His praise shall continually be in my mouth.

My soul shall make its boast in the Lord;
The humble shall hear of it and be glad.

Oh, magnify the Lord with me,
And let us exalt His name together.

I sought the Lord, and He heard me,
And delivered me from all my fears.

They looked to Him and were radiant,
And their faces were not ashamed.

This poor man cried out, and the Lord heard him,
And saved him out of all his troubles.

The angel of the Lord encamps all around those who fear Him,
And delivers them.

Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good;
Blessed is the man who trusts in Him!

Psalm 34:1-8

* Five Minute Friday (#FMFparty) gives writers a word prompt. We are encouraged to write whatever comes to mind about that word in just five minutes.  No editing, no perfection, only writing from the heart.  To find out more, visit http://katemotaung.com/five-minute-friday/.  This week's word is "PRESENT".

4 comments:

  1. "Because we know who is holding us, we find ourselves set free to be who we are, free to dream, and free to hope because we are sure that God sees us and has a plan for our lives. I firmly believe this, too! He gives us our dreams and when we yield to him, he can use them in far reaching ways all the while bringing glory to Himself! What a wonderful God we have! I love the scripture passage you shared here. I'm your neighbor at FMF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing! I don't know why we make it so hard to get to that yielding point when we know He has us in the palm of His hand!

      Delete
  2. Amy, there is so much to mull over in your post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you will dream and see what God can do!

      Delete