Friday, July 24

ten // five minute friday

Five Minute Friday (#FMFparty) gives writers a word prompt. We are encouraged to write whatever comes to mind about that word in just five minutes.  No editing, no perfection, only writing from the heart.  To find out more, visit http://katemotaung.com/five-minute-friday/.  This week's word is "TEN".

Thought about this overnight trying to decide where to go with "ten" because a number just begs for some kind of list. I decided to go with ten of my favorite Bible verses (it's hard to pick just 10)!

Life has been so up and down this summer as we go from one high to one low and then back to another high and low! It's so characteristic of my life as I tend to live in black and white and in the extremes. However, it is in the extremes where God teaches me the most about Him. It's where I learn to work out my salvation and learn to see Him no matter what blessings or curve balls come my way. And it's where I learn how much God desires stillness and nearness first instead of last after I've exhausted all of my other man-made options (*sigh* I have a long way to go with that lesson).

So, this list is more for me as I remind myself once again of God's truth, promises, commands, calling, and comforts that He has given me over the years to cling to and live by in the extremes and the not-so-extremes (in the rare event that they do occur).

1. "I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go: I will guide thee with mine eye." Psalm 32:8 (KJV)

2.  "Remember ye not the former things, neither consider the things of old. Behold, I will do a new thing; now it shall spring forth; shall ye not know it? I will even make a way in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert." Isaiah 43:18-19 (KJV)

3. "If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. For the Scripture says, “Whoever believes on Him will not be put to shame.” For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek, for the same Lord over all is rich to all who call upon Him. For 'whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.'" Romans 10:9-12 (NKJV)

4. "He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty." Psalm 91:1 (NKJV)

5.  "Praise the Lord! Praise God in His sanctuary; praise Him in His mighty firmament! Praise Him for His mighty acts; praise Him according to His excellent greatness! Praise Him with the timbrel and dance; praise Him with stringed instruments and flutes!" Psalm 150: 1, 2, 4 (NKJV)

6. "Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: "Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?" Then said I, "Here am I! Send me." Isaiah 6:8 (NKJV)

7.  "Do not curse the king, even in your thought; do not curse the rich, even in your bedroom; for a bird of the air may carry your voice, and a bird in flight may tell the matter." Ecclesiastes 10:20 (NKJV)

8.  "And that about wraps it up. God is strong, and he wants you strong. So take everything the Master has set out for you, well-made weapons of the best materials. And put them to use so you will be able to stand up to everything the Devil throws your way. This is no afternoon athletic contest that we’ll walk away from and forget about in a couple of hours. This is for keeps, a life-or-death fight to the finish against the Devil and all his angels. Be prepared. You’re up against far more than you can handle on your own. Take all the help you can get, every weapon God has issued, so that when it’s all over but the shouting you’ll still be on your feet." Ephesians 6:10-13 (Message)

9.   “Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.” Matthew 11:28-30 (Message)

10.  "God setteth the solitary in families: he bringeth out those which are bound with chains..." Psalm 68:6 (KJV)


[Thanks to biblegateway.com who made it possible to accomplish this list within the five minute writing window...lol!] 

10 comments:

  1. Amy,
    thank you for the visit. Your scriptures were rich and life-giving! I especially liked the Ecclesiastes one about what we say. Our words really do matter. :) BibleGateway.com is my beautiful friend as well, especially for FMF posts.
    Love,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! There are times when I will write that verse on a sticky note and put in on my computer so I'll think twice about saying what I really want to say on social media. You're right that our words really do matter!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to read through it! :)

      Delete
  3. I love this idea! I thought of writing on our family life verse (Eph2:10) but went a different direction! I love these verses though and they are so encouraging --that portion in Matthew in The Message - so gorgeous, right? Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love Eph 2:10! The verses in Matthew remind me so much of the busyness of ministry and being caught up in doing all the good that we forget to simply be still.

      Delete
  4. Stopping by from FMF. Love your verses, especially right now #9. I've been going out by the pool and making some ME time with HIM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! The pool is a great place to get away from it all and seek Him for sure! It's refreshing in more than one way!

      Delete
  5. Such a great list and yes, 10 does lend itself to lists! :) These verses are so encouraging, thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. There are sooo many encouraging verses in the Bible that it's hard to just pick 10! ;)

      Delete