"Hope" is a word that is tossed around often, so I had to google its definition before pondering what to write. Hope is "to cherish a desire with anticipation; to desire with expectation of obtainment; to expect with confidence: trust." That definition falls in line with the feelings that arise whenever I read I Timothy 4:14-16 (Message):
"...And that special gift of ministry you were given when the leaders of the church laid hands on you and prayed—keep that dusted off and in use. Cultivate these things. Immerse yourself in them. The people will all see you mature right before their eyes! Keep a firm grasp on both your character and your teaching. Don’t be diverted. Just keep at it. Both you and those who hear you will experience salvation."Such freedom and permission to explore all the unique things about us is granted in these verses. God has given each of us unique desires, dreams, talents, abilities, personalities and ministries that He wants to use both for our growth and for other people's growth. I've spent all of my life trying to fit into molds and living up to expectations all the while being ashamed of my uniqueness. God has really been showing me that unique isn't bad at all especially when He has a distinct plan for our lives.
Hope rises as we see God moving so vividly and so personally in our lives which in turn builds faith and confidence to live into that which He is calling us to do. We begin to see God's anointing and His power as we let go and surrender to Him. And we begin to experience Him in fresh ways that infuse hope into the very core of us as we believe that we are who He says we are in Him.
Cultivating our uniqueness and immersing ourselves into the ministry that He has given us means hoping (aka expecting in confidence) that God will show us His way (Psalm 32:8), that He will work out what is needed within our hearts to lead us in His way (Romans 5:1-5), and that His blood covers us in such a way that when we live in Him and His wholeness, we are totally pleasing to Him (Hebrews 13:21). When we live out of this kind of hope, others begin to see Christ in us as our lives can't help but be a living testimony of His love and power.
May God, who puts all things together, makes all things whole, who made a lasting mark through the sacrifice of Jesus, the sacrifice of blood that sealed the eternal covenant, who led Jesus, our Great Shepherd, up and alive from the dead, now put you together, provide you with everything you need to please him, make us into what gives him most pleasure, by means of the sacrifice of Jesus, the Messiah. All glory to Jesus forever and always! Hebrews 13:20-21 (MSG)

Your words are a like a cup of cold water, my friend. I love how you have taken this prompt and woven into it such complex wonders.
ReplyDeleteThis is especially lovely: Hope rises as we see God moving so vividly and so personally in our lives which in turn builds faith and confidence to live into that which He is calling us to do. We begin to see God's anointing and His power as we let go and surrender to Him.
May God continue to bless others through your words.
Thank you! It's challenged me this past week as I continue to let go!
Deletesuch a soothing post for my soul, thanks.
ReplyDeleteThis is a good stuff! I really need to meditate on it more. For me, it is so easy to focus on how I don't fit into this little cookie cutter version of what I feel like "I ought to be". Hope - my hope - is much better when placed in Him and in who HE has made **me** to be - and the gifts He has given me. Here from Five Minute Friday. :) One sentence stands out and gives me great hope: "When we live out of this kind of hope, others begin to see Christ in us as our lives can't help but be a living testimony of His love and power." It's sooo comforting!! We can't possibly mess that up. It's just about staying planted where He has placed us.
ReplyDeleteIt's hard to put our "blinders" on and not compare ourselves w/others and their abilities/talents or with what we're supposed to be. I have to constantly work at it, but it's always so freeing and I see God the most when I focus on Him over all else. ...Work in progress! ;)
Delete