Thursday, June 4

Gift // Five Minute Friday

Five Minute Friday (#FMFparty) gives writers a word prompt. We are encouraged to write whatever comes to mind about that word in just five minutes.  No editing, no perfection, only writing from the heart.  To find out more, visit http://katemotaung.com/five-minute-friday/.  This week's word is "GIFT".

Yesterday, my son ran to me while grinning ear to ear. He proudly handed me this little cardboard sleeve that he and his dad just received from the quarter machine at Toys R Us. As I opened it, all I could do was laugh as I saw a Duck Dynasty sparkly smiley face staring back at me. Of course, my son was as delighted to hear the laughter and to receive the big 'thank you' hug as I was over his thoughtfulness that made my day.

Today, my child gave me his Chewbacca Pez dispenser because he knows I like Chewbacca the best out of all the Star Wars characters (yes, we are a Star Wars kind of family). I asked him the other day, "If your mom were a character, who would she be?" And he replied with, "Princess Leia." In his mind, I'm every bit of April from the Ninja Turtles and every bit of Princess Leia (he keeps begging me to buy a white t-shirt so I can really be like her).   

A Duck Dynasty sticker, Pez dispenser, diamonds (aka white rocks), A+/WOW stickers (that he took from the homeschool shelf to reward me because I read him another good book...lol), stick figure drawings, a candy wrapper that reminded him of a fun time we had together...only a mom would understand the pure treasure found in the gifts of her child! 

As I reflect on these seemingly insignificant gifts and see the big thoughtful heart and little hands outstretched in love with each gift that was given, I can't help but think that our God wants our seemingly insignificant gifts, too. We might not be the best at what we do, but He wants the best that we can give. We might not pray big elaborate, theology-filled prayers, but He wants our thoughts and our words directed toward Him (no dictionary or thesaurus needed). We might not understand everything we read in the Bible, but He still wants us to seek Him. God savors everything we bring to Him as much as we savor those gifts our children bring to us. What a reminder to take everything that we have and give God gifts that speak of our heart's desire for Him!
"Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21

8 comments:

  1. Amy, your post brought a smile to my face - adorable children and their unique gifts to their mama! And then the last paragraph hit me hard. I'm challenged to step out and give God my gifts even if they seem so small and silly and insignificant. Thanks for the reminder that everything we do and everything we have can be used to glorify God. Blessings on your Friday from your FMF neighbor :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. how sweet amy:) what an encouragement to your son as he grows in developing his skills of encouraging and building up others:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How sweet that your little one is already developing his love language of gift giving! Our co-worker brought his three little kids over and they all gifted my husband (who broke his collarbone over the weekend) with coloring pages that they had prepared just for him. The artwork is hanging on our refrigerator and reminds me that tiny gifts are just as important as expensive gifts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those tiny gifts are priceless. My grandma died last Sunday and we are finding those small, precious gifts among her things. I hope we never stop giving the small gifts!

      Delete
  4. Oh how sweet. This was a great post. Thank you for the reminder of the precious gifts we receive. I enjoyed visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kids are the best! It's so important to be grateful for the little gifts in life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kids have a way of always reminding us of what is most important!

      Delete