Saturday, June 27

dream // five minute friday

Five Minute Friday (#FMFparty) gives writers a word prompt. We are encouraged to write whatever comes to mind about that word in just five minutes.  No editing, no perfection, only writing from the heart.  To find out more, visit http://katemotaung.com/five-minute-friday/.  This week's word is "DREAM".

I have forgotten what it's like to dream and to have those thoughts that take you from where you are today to somewhere else that you really want to be in life. Busyness, routine, sleeplessness, merely existing, and mindlessly staring at my laptop or iPhone rob me of the ability to dream.

And honestly, when I take the time to dream, "what if's" choke out my dreams. Insecurity tells me that I'm not good enough to dream those kinds of dreams. Comparison shows me all that I lack. And fear holds me back so much so that I doubt each step forward. I give up dreaming before I even begin to dream only to find myself living this life where I'm aiming at so many different things and still completely missing the mark.

A friend recently asked me, "What would you do for God if you couldn't fail?" The answer to that question surprises me because the answers are things that I enjoy doing yet are not things that my life (education, ministry training, professional training, etc.) has been geared toward all of these years. To follow these dreams would mean a radical shift and leaving behind everything that is familiar including people and areas of ministry that I thought I really liked (and I do like these things, but they don't fuel me like living out my dreams do). Pursuing these dreams would unleash renewed creativity, vibrancy, passion, faith, and opportunities to do unique things as God paves the way.

If dreaming and pursuing my dreams would bring all of that, why then do I mock God's truths in Jeremiah 1:4-9 by lacking the courage to dream?
"Then the word of the Lord came to me, saying:  “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you; before you were born I sanctified you; I ordained you a prophet to the nations.” Then said I: “Ah, Lord God! Behold, I cannot speak, for I am a youth.” But the Lord said to me: “Do not say, ‘I am a youth,’ for you shall go to all to whom I send you, and whatever I command you, you shall speak. Do not be afraid of their faces, for I am with you to deliver you,” says the Lord.  Then the Lord put forth His hand and touched my mouth, and the Lord said to me: “Behold, I have put My words in your mouth."

1 comment:

  1. I am a FMF neighbour. it's hard isn't it? To live out the truth of God's words, to live out the dreams that he gives us, when it's so hard to just step out in faith. If you are so led to do so.... hold to his promises. Hold them fast. :)

    ReplyDelete