As soon as I saw the word 'rise' for this week, the song "Hosanna (Praise is Rising)" instantly came to mind. The song opens up with "Praise is rising / eyes are turning to You / we turn to You / hope is stirring / hearts are yearning for You / we long for You."
It follows on the heels of the verses I've been meditating on this week. Plus, leave it to God to round out last week's blog on "follow" (John 10:27) with these verses as well!
"Seven times each day I stop and shout praises for the way you keep everything running right. For those who love what you reveal, everything fits--no stumbling around in the dark for them. I wait expectantly for your salvation; God I do what You tell me."
Psalm 119:164-168 (MSG)
"Put Your hand out and steady me since I've chosen to live by Your counsel. I'm homesick, God, for Your salvation; I love it when You show Yourself! Invigorate my soul so I can praise You well, use your decrees to put iron in my soul. And should I wander off like a lost sheep--seek me. I'll recognize the sound of your voice."
Psalm 119:173-176 (MSG)
I've been struck by the thought that David was specific enough (as displayed in every version of the Bible) to say "Seven times a day do I praise Thee" (KJV). Why seven times? It's an odd number yet it's used to represent "often" or "repeatedly". What would happen if we made a conscious effort to praise God seven times a day (the kind of praise that goes beyond the generic 'thank you' that we offer up at mealtimes)?
At seven times a day, our praise can't do anything but rise! And when our praise rises, our eyes, mind, and heart shift upward as our focus moves to God instead of ourselves. Praise makes our hearts yearn for more of God as we see more of Him. Praise keeps our mind occupied because it gives us something to do in the waiting. And praise brings us back to God when we've wandered too far because praise trains our feet to follow Him.
Do you see that challenge in Psalm 119:164 to make your praise rise seven times a day, too?
What a challenge! I have been in a little rut lately and just need to feel my faith rising and my praises going to my Savior. I want to go beyond just the simple praises and connect and reach my Savior... ah to have a heart like David's. Thank you for this beautiful post!
ReplyDeleteWill pray that your praise will rise 7 times a day! Soaking in the Psalms is my favorite way to remember to praise.
DeleteThat is quite a challenge but one that is definitely worth taking. Praising God requires an upward motion and when our bodies are in that posture we can't do anything but focus our eyes on Him. Hope your weekend has been blessed.
ReplyDeleteWas thinking about that this week on a walk when I felt overwhelmed w/everything and was staring down at the ground. I remembered your comment and literally turned my head and gaze upward and began to notice the beauty of the sky which in turn meant seeing God which meant praise! :)
Delete