Friday, May 15

Follow // Five Minute Friday

Five Minute Friday (#FMFparty) gives writers a word prompt. We are encouraged to write whatever comes to mind about that word in just five minutes.  No editing, no perfection, only writing from the heart.  To find out more, visit http://katemotaung.com/five-minute-friday/.  This week's word is "follow".

In a noisy world where everything vies for our attention, we lose so many sounds that were once prominent in our lives. We lose the sound of productivity as we get sucked into another five minutes of reading Facebook statuses or tweets while not realizing that we've been engrossed for 45 minutes already. We lose the sound of individuality as we try to emulate those we feel have arrived or have achieved something great as if they are the only ones that know the way. We lose the sound of our voice as we hear other Christians gossip and ridicule us as we try to stand up for what is right and live according to God's Word.

And in all of that, we lose the sound of God's voice because we've become accustomed to hearing whatever is speaking the loudest to us at that time. We lose the sound of His voice because we lose sight of His face, His ways, and His grace. We mask His lasting peace and joy for temporary happiness and instant thrills that this world gives us because following Him requires more of us than we are willing to give especially over an extended period of time. It's easier to remain a surface Christian and pull our act together in front of other Christians for a few hours each week than it is to live ever radically for Christ as we draw lines in the sand and sift all the noise of this world through Philippians 4:8.  "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."

Yet in John 10:27, Christ says, "My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me." I love this verse because it's a statement of fact. If we are truly God's sheep, we will hear His voice and we will choose to follow Him. Hearing God's voice and remembering how sweet it is always prompts action, obedience, and love. His voice has a way of canceling out those things that have no lasting value and don't honor Christ if we choose to hear Him. God's voice calls us out from among our peers, beyond our church services, and over our mere "religion" into a real relationship where following Him becomes our natural response to His voice because we desire nothing else but Him.

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Amy. As I was reading your post, it echoes my own (as you already saw) ... I love that you said, "Everything vies for our attention ... we lose the sound of God's voice because we've become accustomed to hearing whatever is speaking the loudest to us at that time." It takes work to focus ... it takes discipline. Thank you for this deeper reminder ... *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely discipline!! This has been the year of moving from talking about needing discipline to taking tiny steps of discipline and it truly does make a difference!

      Delete
  2. "His voice has a way of canceling out those things that have no lasting value and don't honor Christ if we choose to hear Him." Thank you for these words of truth. So many sounds in our daily lives, vying for our attention, yet the only sound - the One True Voice - is the most important of all to follow!
    I'm your neighbor from FMF! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! There is such comfort in the One True Voice. Love how He pursues us so we will hear His voice through His Word, the reminders from the Spirit, and words from others.

      Delete
  3. Amy, do you have a twitter handle? I'd like to tweet your post and link to you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still trying to get in the groove w/Twitter, but you can find me at https://twitter.com/Blessed2BeMeAgn.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for this post, Amy! So glad that we were FMF neighbors. Not sure what happened to the comment I thought I was leaving, so I'll try again.
    This post reminded me that I have no interest in following Christ half-heartedly. It also reminds me of the song "I have decided to follow Jesus". It's a choice, a decision and there's no turning back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's getting to that point of making the choice to follow that is oftentimes the hardest!

      I've been amazed at the FMF community and how so many of us share that desire for whole-hearted living and encourage one another toward it through writing! What a blessing! :)

      Delete
  5. Amy, what a beautiful post. And challenging. It's hard to hear God's voice with the noise of the world around me. I LOVED what you said here: "His voice has a way of canceling out those things that have no lasting value and don't honor Christ if we choose to hear Him." I'm choosing to hear His voice, His words for me.

    Philippians 4:8 is a verse I pray almost every day. Love it. And, I love that you shared it today. :)

    Visiting from FMF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jeanne! It always goes back to choice, doesn't it?

      Delete
  6. " We lose the sound of His voice because we lose sight of His face, His ways, and His grace." So true, Amy. The more we allow the world's noise to drown out His voice, the poorer we are in every way. The world's supposed riches are as nothing if our spirit becomes impoverished because we lack the drive and motivation to seek God first and foremost.
    You echo thoughts that have been on my mind for some time. I feel as if I've found a soul sister here. Thank you for stopping by at my 'Poetry Joy' blog. I'm delighted to return the favour. God bless you as you seek to live wholeheartedly for Him. :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way as I read your blog! You have quite the gift for poetry that presents truth in a beautiful and powerful way.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your kindness and encouragement, Amy! It means a lot. May God bless your good work to His praise and glory. ����

      Delete
    3. Thanks for your kindness and encouragement, Amy! It means a lot. May God bless your good work to His praise and glory. ����

      Delete