We were starting our first week of school tomorrow at 9:15 a.m. However, these colds we developed last week have turned into something more. Mine went from strep to something else and morphed into bronchitis leaving me winded and drained. Thankfully, my son's virus has not developed into pneumonia nor did his asthma flare up, but we had another rough night (the 7th in a row) and decided to turn our sickness into fun. We pulled out the futon in the living room and had a "sickies only" camp out where my sleeping child tried pulling me under his head. When he finally woke up, he looked at me surprised and confused saying, "Whoa! I thought you were a giant pillow pet!" I can only imagine what fun he was having in his dreams to discover such a large pillow pet and the crushing disappointment to realize it was only a dream.
Anyway, while it would be nice to start school tomorrow, I have such peace about letting our plans go! Never dreamed I'd ever get to a point in my Type A, planner-doer life where I could let something as big as the first day of school go! But seriously, there is no point to pushing our first day when neither of us feel like getting out of our pj's to smile for our annual first day photo or to make a special breakfast that no one is going to eat! The thought of trying to jump into spelling words and making my child read (not his favorite) while I barely have the energy to watch a full TV show makes my head hurt. And I must admit that the extra time to rest sounds like such a luxury!
 |
| Sonlight Core B, Week 1 |
So, while I've got our dry-erase calendar all filled in with our first week's assignments, our "cheat sheets" laminated (number line, alphabet, graph paper, etc.), the brand-new folders labeled for each subject and freshly sharpened pencils ready to go for the morning, I'm thankful for the common sense, peace and flexibility to let it go another week (or even mid-week...we'll see how we're feeling)!
Ahhhhh...the beauty of homeschooling!
No comments:
Post a Comment