Wednesday, June 20

Creating a Leadership Team – Part I


Pulling together the right leadership team is one of the hardest things you will do with your myMISSION group.  As in anything, it requires a lot of prayer, time and patience. 

It also requires following God's promptings even when it might not make sense.  There were moments when I felt God put this team together more for my benefit than theirs.  The underlying dynamics have been instrumental in teaching me how to let go of control (is it preference or procedure and 99.9% of the time, it's preference...this is still a lesson in progress). 

Like any team, our team is made up of individuals who bring their own personalities, talents, skills, insights, opinions, emotions, leadership styles and leadership maturity to the table.  This make us a well-rounded team as we see things from different angles and bring our uniqueness to the table.  Through expressing their opinions and sometimes challenging my ideas, the team has kept me from jumping into things and/or slowing the down the pace in order to wait and see how things play out.  I’m very thankful that they feel comfortable enough to speak up and play an active role in myMISSION PIEDMONT. 

When we first started myMISSION in May 2011, the leadership team looked different than it did two months later in July 2011.  When I first started calling young women in our Association, I had a vision, a bare-bones structure to present to these women and this hope that they would catch the vision and be willing to partner with God and our Association on this journey.  It was important to me to leave the details "bare-bones" as this wasn't "my" group...it was for the young women in our Association and it was vital to give them the opportunity to make it theirs and give them ownership of myMISSION. 

As I called many young women, some were ready to roll up their sleeves and get to work that day, others wanted time to pray over it and others weren't interested in leading but were interested in participating once the group was formed.  There was a 4-6 week gap between these calls and our first leadership team meeting.  So, by the time we had our first leadership team meeting, God pared down the list of names even more.  Some young women didn't return calls/multiple voice mails and emails.  Others couldn't coordinate their calendars and that spoke volumes as far as their availability to be on the team as I knew high-commitment would be vital to getting myMISSION PIEDMONT off the ground. 

My philosophy has always been that if someone sees the value in something and really wants it, they will make the time for it, and myMISSION PIEDMONT was no different.  Sometimes though, it takes trial and error to put together the right team.  Yet, I’ve had to back off of my "philosophy" a little as I realized that clearly communicating your vision is a "must" for any leader.  That vision and passion for what God is doing and wants to do is what initially captures people and draws them in especially when you don't have a personal relationship with them beforehand.

No comments:

Post a Comment