There is something awkward about the first post and introducing what a blog is about...would rather get to the meat and leave out the fluff! So, in an attempt to move from the awkward first post, let me give you a brief rundown on this blog.
"Blessed To Be Me" was the title of my very first blog years ago and it's one that has stuck no matter the life stage. I'm truly blessed to be me because God has given me so much through my family, my church and through serving Him. He has made my life full and complete and it's one adventure after another when following Him in ministry! Can't imagine doing anything else with my life and am thankful for my husband and son who see God's call and support me wherever God sends me.
Rather than post about random life things as in past blogs, I'd like this blog to be a continuation of the leader blog started at www.mymissionfulfilled.com (about my journey leading myMISSION PIEDMONT) and serve as an outlet to share what God is teaching me about lay leadership.
Over the past year, God led me to several young women who are in the same place I am. And, I can't help but see this lack of connection among young leaders as we struggle alone in our own corners of ministry. Once we begin talking to each other, there is a collective sigh of relief as we discover someone truly understands what compels us to ministry and the "why's" behind what we do and love to do and the challenges and pressures that come with ministry. It's refreshing to be honest about where we are and to know that we're not alone.
There are many resources and networks for women in full-time/professional church leadership, but very few for women in lay ministry--those of us who feel a distinct calling in our lives yet we don't exactly fit in with those who have seminary degrees nor those who are in professional (aka paid) ministry nor those who are heavily affiliated with Christian organizations. So, hopefully this blog will encourage other lay women in ministry as we serve God together.
I'm not an expert on leadership nor have tons of leadership advice and knowledge to share. Yet, God has taken my heart for ministry and the past 13 years of lay ministry (single adult, youth, music and women's ministry) combined with growing up in senior adult ministry to shape me into who I am and how I lead today. Most of what I've learned comes from simple (well, usually not-so-simple) trial and error as I seek to listen and follow God. I've also learned a lot through the “it can’t be done or we’ve already tried it” adventures of having an apostolic mindset and challenging the norm with the new. God also placed many strong leaders, both good and not-so-good, throughout my life to observe, learn from and follow (or not follow). These leaders taught me more through example than a seminar or book ever could.
Would love for you to continue on this journey with me!
No comments:
Post a Comment