Friday, June 23

No Longer an Admonishment (#fmf)

"People with their minds set on You, You keep completely whole, steady on their feet, because they keep at it and don't quit. Depend on God and keep at it because in the Lord God you have a sure thing." Isaiah 26:3-4 (The Message)
When stressful times hit and life erupted into semi-chaos as I was spinning too many plates, an older mentor would remind me to, "Be steady." It came as an admonishment and I left her presence feeling as if that was one more thing I had to perfect in order to maintain the pristine image that was needed for that ministry. Any time an imperfection of my life was revealed, I'd get that reminder from her. I worked hard to maintain that steady image on the outside all the while deteriorating on the inside under the pressure to perform.

The thing about being steady is that true steadiness that endures time doesn't come from maintaining perfection. It comes from hard work and endurance. You can fake steadiness for awhile (even a long while), but eventually, you lose yourself in the process. You lose your God-given purpose, your dreams, and your passion because you're putting everything you have into maintaining some illusion of steadiness and failing to address the cost of maintaining such an image. That is a lot to lose for maintaining an image.

I've been learning a lot lately that God never intended for us to strive for all the things we strive for in the Christian/church realm. He loves us--no striving required to have that love. He is there for us--no striving required to make sure He sees us. He comforts us--no striving required to receive it. He leads us--no striving required to figure it out. He wants a relationship with us--no striving required period because the key word is *WANTS*...He removed all the striving so we can simply come to Him. I'm being reminded all over again just how "simple" a relationship with God is and how complicated it got because of religion and tradition (and maintaining images to keep leadership roles--yeah, mixed up priorities, I know). It is man and our fear of man that keeps us striving when God consistently says, "Come!" and that is an action you take, not something you have to strive for.

Isaiah 26:3-4 (above) talks about how God is the one who keeps us whole and steady on our feet because our minds are on Him. It's "in the Lord God [that we] have a sure thing." If that's the case, true steadiness doesn't come from our striving. It comes from us choosing to lay down our striving and choosing to rest in that relationship with Him...nothing more, nothing less (although, it's one of the hardest things to do)! Matthew 11:28-30 says, "Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me--watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll earn to live freely and lightly."

Merriam Webster (student definition) defines steady as firmly fixed in position; direct or sure in action; showing little change. Being steady isn't jumping through hoops to maintain the perfect Christian leader image based on what someone thinks it should be. But "be steady" means firmly fixing your mind on God. "Be steady" means knowing exactly who it is you're wanting to follow, love, and serve above all others. "Be steady" means not taking your eyes off God and finding your rest and your everything in Him and Him alone.

I wonder what difference it would have made in my life and in our area of ministry had this mentor took the time to discover and explain what "be steady" meant in light of the God that we were serving together rather than use "be steady" as a form of admonishment because my life wasn't looking so perfect as I was struggling to keep up with the image we were supposed to be projecting to those we were ministering to. I'm sooo thankful that God has been showing me the difference and that He doesn't want any of my striving...He just wants me and He wants to create that steadiness within me that changes the core of who I am so it flows outward to others. I don't have to do anything but choose Him...it's all too simple sometimes (once we get past all the wrestling for surrender)!

Five Minute Friday (#FMFparty) gives writers a word prompt. We are encouraged to write whatever comes to mind about that word in just five minutes (although, I usually go longer bcs FMF helps fuel that spark in me to write).  No editing, no perfection, only writing from the heart.  To find out more, visit http://fiveminutefriday.com/.  This week's word is "STEADY."

5 comments:

  1. Loving your words this evening. Joining you from the #56 spot at FMF.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isaiah 26:3-4 in the Message helps me see that passage in a fresh way.
    I agree, it's more powerful to show someone the way instead of having a word of admonishment.
    Psalms 46:10 is easy to tell someone. But how to be still and know he is God takes investing in another's life.
    Thank you for sharing some of your journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, "Be still"...that's another hard one but so worth it when it's lived out and shared with others! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. The thing about being steady is that true steadiness that endures time doesn't come from maintaining perfection. Like this sentence because it pack a ton of truth. There is no maintaining perfection because we are not Christ. He was perfect, we are not which is why He lived that perfect life we could not. It's freeing to not try to meet others standards. Good post.

    ReplyDelete